Three hella cool chicks virtually and not-so-virtually training together for the 2011 Austin Marathon. Won't you join our humble journey?

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Aerial Yoga

So, I had my first aerial yoga class today.  But, first, let me tell you about yesterday!!  Faith has been ill with a cough and the chills so she's wisely opted to rest.  Yesterday, I ran a fast 3 miles at 9:15 pace which was followed by some body work.  After that, I headed to my first Pilates class.  My abs were already fairly well worked from the Socks class so Pilates was a killer workout!!  We did a decent about of core work and then spent the second half of the class doing some good arm work.  Basically, all my muscle groups were well worked yesterday!!

Today, Faith was on rest again, so I opted for a longer 5 mile run which I did in a 10:10 pace - nice and slow as compared to my recent Wednesday night Red Lizard runs.  Then, I went to aerial yoga - which was both awesome and a little scary.  First of all, all the moves involved either a set of straps with three handles of varying lengths and/or a sort of fabric sling - both of which are securely hung from the ceiling.  A lot of the moves are done with one foot on the floor which allows for some really great stretching as the sling naturally sways.  I even had one successful inversion - the instructor could tell that I was super nervous so she really helped me through that one since I was the only newbie:).  The rest of the class was kind enough to clap for me once I'd completed the move which was both nice and welcoming.  Overall, it was different but in all the right ways.  I'm looking forward to more and I'd really encourage you to give it a try if you ever get the opportunity.  

No comments:

Post a Comment