Three hella cool chicks virtually and not-so-virtually training together for the 2011 Austin Marathon. Won't you join our humble journey?

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Running in Texas

I have to admit that I underestimated a little bit how hard it would be to adjust to the climate of Texas. The heat here is brutal! No place is this more apparent than when I am running.

Yesterday, for example, I decided to check out Shoal Creek trail, which conveniently begins from Eli's work. I probably only made it a mile before I was ready to turn around, and this was the DOWNHILL half. I was completely exhausted, and barely ran 2.5 miles before walking it in.

Running here, you sweat like you have never sweated before. My running shoes are literally soaked with sweat when I get home from a run (sexy, I know). I have no stamina in this heat whatsoever, afterward I have to drink more than twice the amount I would have in Portland in order to feel hydrated.

My plan for survival is to include gatorade on all my sweaty outdoor runs, even the short ones, and to train on the treadmill if I have to run mid-day. Already since arriving, the average daily temperatures have gone down from 102 to 92; my hope is that when training begins in earnest it will be in the 70s and 80s, and it will be lovely.

Oh, but the perk of all this hot weather? Outdoor swimming as cross-training.

2 comments:

  1. Well... that makes me glad that I'm not trying to train for this in Phoenix!! I suspect that you'll acclimate to the climate in time but it is probably a good thing that you have another month before marathon training really starts up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang! I'm sweating just reading this! I feel a little guilty now about whining about the humidity yesterday :)

    ReplyDelete