Three hella cool chicks virtually and not-so-virtually training together for the 2011 Austin Marathon. Won't you join our humble journey?

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Truth Hurts


So, I hurt my quad Monday morning and took Monday's run off. I was itching for a run today even though my leg was still tight. I thought a run would loosen it up, followed by some serious stretching. Jess and I started running and we were talking about my fears that my feet aren't ready for barefoot running, even after easing into it and running consistently in the Vibrams for the last 6 weeks. I've noticed that my feet are tender, especially in the morning, and my ankles don't warm up for a half mile or so.

Then I tripped.

I've always been kind of a klutzy runner, but in the fingers I snag my toes a lot. I remember my high school coach yelling at me "Pick up your feet, Donnally!" This time, when I snagged my toe I felt my right quad pull and snap. It was terrifying. While walking back to work, I stopped occasionally to massage my muscle because it hurt so badly. This was real pain, not just hurt. I made it back to the office and was smart enough (Thanks, Jess!) to do some internet research that told me to ice my thigh and NOT massage it. I stayed at work long enough to do the recommended "20 minute immediate icing" then left my bike at work and bussed it home.

A beer (which I fully believe helped me AND my muscle relax) and icing every 2 hours have made me less fearful, although I've decided to wait until the official day of training to run again.

Now, to the title of the post: I've never really had problems with running. I've been running since I was 14 (with some time off :). I ran cross country, indoor track and outdoor track for almost 4 years in high school and then ran for years afterwards in shoes and never had problems. After reading "Chi Running" two years ago, I changed the way I ran and it made it easier and fun. After reading "Born to Run" I felt like there was still a better way. I tried the Fingers for a while and then got worried after Ty hurt himself, so I took it down a whole lot. I tried "transition shoes", marathon racing shoes that would be my trainers. I ended up really hurting my Achilles. I went back to my Asics and everything was fine. Eight weeks ago, I started running again in the Fingers and thought the weakness and tenderness was from building muscle. After the last two weeks of long runs, I've had to ice my feet--after 6 miles.

I know that running in shoes will be better for me. Honestly though, I feel like a bit of a barefoot running failure.

I was born to run. Maybe I was born to run in shoes.

1 comment:

  1. There is NOTHING wrong with not going barefoot and running in shoes instead. I've always thought that barefoot wasn't for everyone. I think it has worked so well for me because I had too many injuries when I was running shod. But, you didn't have injuries so there was really no reason to switch in the first place.

    Stick with the shoes and stay health!! I need you as a training partner:).

    ReplyDelete