Three hella cool chicks virtually and not-so-virtually training together for the 2011 Austin Marathon. Won't you join our humble journey?

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Warrior Camp

Holy hell, did I work out hard last night!!!  First, you should take a look at this video of the Warrior Camp instructor's phyisical abilities.  Okay, I tried embedding a video but it was just taking too long.  Follow this link instead and watch the video...  http://www.adapttraining.com/camps/warriorcamp.html.  Seriously, it's amazing! 

In last night's class, we did pre-testing.  If I were taking the four week class instead of just the free first week, we would spend the last day of class doing the post-testing and I imagine the improvement would be pretty impressive.  Alas, as it is, I'm pretty pathetic on the upper body strength.  But, then again, we don't call ourselves the T-Rex's for nothing!! 

First, the entire class did a timed wall sit together (I lasted over 2 1/2 minutes) and then we went to a variety of stations to be assessed.  I couldn't even manage one chip up but did manage four whole push-ups (boy style!).  Then, I couldn't get up to do the wall assisted handstand so I had to do 2 minutes of downdog instead - which was obviously a piece of cake and the only easy part of the testing!  Then, we did these flexed delt arm hang things...  I only lasted ten seconds there.  I did pretty good on the elevated lunges - lasting 28 seconds with my right leg back and 45 with my left leg back.  Lastly, we did this brutal exercise called ADAPT shuttle runs.  Two weight benches are placed 10 yards apart and you have to run back and forth 10 times for a total of 200 yards.  At each bench, you have to step or jump to the other side of the bench and back all while carrying a 7 pound medicine ball between both hands that you can not drop or take even one hand off.  I managed the first go round in 1:38.  Then we got a one minute rest...  and I finished my second round in exactly 1:38 - which was pretty impressive because they only tell you that you need to finish the second round within ten seconds of your first time. 

Needless to say, it was tough and also pretty depressing to find out how out of shape you can be and still manage to complete marathons.  Tonight's class will just a normal class so I'm really looking forwrad to it...  even if I know it's going to kick my butt!! 

2 comments:

  1. Holy Hell is right... is this a workout training camp... or a freakin Ninja Training camp... are you going to be doing parkcore by the end of the week? it actually looks like a lot of fun... something Kona (boy) and I would love to do.
    Enjoy the day Jess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luckily, we do NOT do the same stuff that Jerod does in that video. Or any of that stuff! Kona Boy should totally look into doing one of the camps. There's a lot of youth athletes there and I'm sure it would help with injury prevention for him in the future.

    Thanks for reading AND commenting!!

    ReplyDelete