Three hella cool chicks virtually and not-so-virtually training together for the 2011 Austin Marathon. Won't you join our humble journey?

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Please Advise

Ohhhh man. I am falling (what feels like) so far behind in our training plan. I've got the consistency of the long Sunday runs, but the mileage that my training group is doing is still lower than Hal's plan. And I'm stressing over getting the mid-week runs in. I really really want to run this marathon to the ground, and following Hal's intermediate schedule seems like a great way to take it to the next level. But. I haven't been able to follow the schedule for the last few weeks... my work schedule has been insane, and really tiring, and there were holidays, and visitors. Last week, instead of 3,6,3,6, and 9, I did 5,5,2, and 12. (It has also been so confusing trying to combine Hals' plan with what the Texas Running Company's group is doing). It just isn't feasible for me to complete 4,7,4,7 and 14 miles this week!

Is it time to adjust my goals and expectations for this training season and marathon - maybe by following the Beginner 2 plan again? Or is it time to amp up the hardcore factor and get 'er done?

What do y'all think? Bonus question - how do you plan to keep up with the training plan during the holidays?

And Faith, are you feeling this way too, having had a break for your foot? We can pick it up still, right?!!!

5 comments:

  1. For last week, you really aren't that far behind. We did 26 miles and you did 24 - not a big difference. BUT, that was a stepback week for us and if it was regular week for you, then maybe we are a bit off on the mileage. I think that you have to make any marathon work with your other commitments and scheduling constraints. If doing the Intermediate plan is going to be a constant source of stress and worry, you need to drop back and do a plan that you kind find some pleasure (or whatever) in...

    On the other hand, if it is just this week's schedule that is giving you a problem, do what you can and then get back on track next week.

    As for 'combining' the programs - is that really necessary? If I'm reading this right, you are combining them so that you will get more mileage. Would it be helpful if you sat down with both calendars and got the entire remaining weeks mapped out? Maybe you've already done that...

    Not to change the subject but... you got a job?!?! That's great news - congrats! What are you doing? Tell us all about it:).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for weighing in Jess! I just needed to talk it through. You're right, last week I was only 2 miles under. This week's mileage is the one that is making me cringe... I'll probably be under by ~10 miles. I will take a look at the next plan down, maybe that will help with some of the stress I feel over the schedule.

    I'm not combining, as in adding them together, but I just have a hard time deciding between following their alloted runs or Hal's - like, do I do 5/6/5/8 this week, or 4/7/4/7/14. But I should just map them out like you say.

    I actually got TWO jobs - one is 20 hrs/wk in an office, very mellow cool job. The other is at the bakery across the street from us, and these past few weeks I've been working 32 hours there... so 52 in total!

    Next week, fingers crossed, I should be dropping two bakery days. It's been tough trying to strike the right balance between work/income, and my own time/running.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bones! Don't stress out, you're doing great.

    Personally, I think what's really important is that you run on days you're supposed to run and run approximately the mileage that is scheduled. I think as long as you keep your body conditioned and are able to complete the long runs you'll do awesomely. Who cares if you run 4/7/4/7 or 5/6/5/8 or some combination? All your body will care about on race day is that you kept up (and/or improved!) your fitness level through the last 18 weeks.

    It's supposed to be fun. You'll kick ass no matter what. Don't worry about the numbers, just get out there and run.

    My foot is *gulp* back to normal! I returned the low profile Mizunos and got a new pair of my old Asics. I started stretching a little before and a lot after every run. I drink more water now. Basically, I went back to doing everything I did LAST marathon training :) and I'm rewarded with painfree and enjoyable runs. Yay! The test will be the 14-miler this weekend. Wish me luck!

    Remember: it's supposed to be fun. We're gonna have a blast in Texas, y'all!

    (And congratulations on the new jobs! Kinda jealous of the bakery job!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Faith and Jess! I had a great run tonight after work(s) and am feeling REALLY REALLY excited about our marathon now. And much more relaxed. It is going to be so fun running around Austin with you guys! And then consuming beer!!!

    I also talked to our coach tonight about increasing our long run distances and we're going to do 14 this weekend instead of 8. Yay! Now we can all post about how it goes to do this longest run so far.

    xoxo
    jody

    ps - will be treating y'all at the bakery when you get here. carbo load!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did your discussion with the coach result in 14 miles for the whole group or just to you?!?!

    YES - I'm a sucker for a pastry.

    ReplyDelete