Three hella cool chicks virtually and not-so-virtually training together for the 2011 Austin Marathon. Won't you join our humble journey?

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Ode to Beer


How have I never heard of this study before?!!! Yesterday, a friend told me about this study done at the University of Granada a few years back, that concluded, amazingly, that:

DRINKING BEER AFTER RUNNING IS GOOD FOR YOU


You heard me right.
No wonder we all love the Helvetia Half, and other races that have a beer garden at the finish line!

I read that many coaches: "recommend barley drinks to professional sportsmen after exercise." That's us! Professional sportswomen.

These researchers noted that athletes were better hydrated after a pint of beer than a pint of water. I totally see (and love!) their point. In my own experience, I have found that I reach a limit of how much water I can drink after a long run... I will drink and drink and still have a dehydration headache. They also point out that the bubbles help quench your thirst, while the carbohydrates can replace lost calories. It just gets better and better, doesn't it!

Another point I would make on behalf of beer that they did not address in the study is the effect of alcohol on your pain receptors. After a long hard run, sometimes you just need a barley drink to take the pain away!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds great to me!! I often crave a beer after a long run or hard workout...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jess, thats great news, I'll have to stock up on some beer for after my workout :)
    but how about Chocolate milk for the non drinker... I'm not drinking up here at all, but I do love chocolate milk, and a friend told me about this... http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/healthy-eating/superfoods/chocolate-milk-after-workout/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard that about chocolate milk as well! They even give out Yoohoo after the Portland marathon... though it's probably better to stick with real chocolate milk. Sounds like you are keeping it healthy in Alaska, Luke. Are you able to run up there with all that snow?

    ReplyDelete