Three hella cool chicks virtually and not-so-virtually training together for the 2011 Austin Marathon. Won't you join our humble journey?

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Tempo Run

Other than some minor tummy troubles, I had a really good tempo run today:

Mile 1 - 9:34
Mile 2 - 9:18
Mile 3 - 9:22 (not including first trot stop)
Mile 4 - 9:15 (not including final trot stop)
Mile 5 - 8:49

Overall - 9:16

I'm not sure why my tummy acted up.  I had my standard breakfast of greek yogurt, granola and raspberries followed by my standard lunch of a half sandwich with deli chicken, dill havarti, cucumber and avocado on whole wheat.  For dinner, last night, I had a chicken burrito from Chipotle so maybe that was the problem?  I haven't had a beer since Saturday night but I have been feeling underhydrated for the last couple of weeks so maybe that just finally caught up with me?  Who know, who cares...  I'll take a 9:16 any day!! 

P.S.  Faith, I really hope you get to feeling better SOON!
P.P.S.  Jody, I'm going to go back and add paces now. 

2 comments:

  1. Nice work, Jess. You ladies run well, and I like your nutritional catalog. That said, don't fear iron! A single, occassional turkey sausage link in the morning, or a nice beef stir fry (and this was something we researched when I was a G.A. at PSU for cross country) at night will give you greater reserves when you need to get deep.

    Red meat gets a bad rep (turkey is not that of course, but don't close the door on good beef either) and poultry is a champ in the running community, but a little iron never heart anyone's ability to go...

    Next run average: 9:13

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dan,

    Thanks for the comment!! Always nice to see other runner friends stopping by:). I have a history of kidney stones so I'm supposed to avoid red meat (and all animal proteins). Obviously, though, that is a ridiculous thing to tell a runner (in fact, now that I'm thinking about it, expect a future post on how frustrating it is to have non-running docs) and you are totally right that I could probably use a little more iron in my diet. We recently bought a freezer for the garage and we are planning to purchase half a cow with some friends so I'm sure that will help me with getting more beef in my diet:).

    Thanks for the advice - and keep it coming... I love it!!

    ReplyDelete