Three hella cool chicks virtually and not-so-virtually training together for the 2011 Austin Marathon. Won't you join our humble journey?

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Week 6

We are now one third completed with our training!!  Way to go, ladies:).  I'm feeling pretty good still, very strong.  Today, however, my jaw hurts, my knee hurts, my throat hurts and I have a headache.  Which I'm taking as a clear message that I need a true rest day so I'm not going to bootcamp tomorrow...

Monday - 3 @ 10:05 (solo)
Tuesday - rest
Wednesday - 5 @ 10:50
Thursday - 6 @ 13:33 (Tryon), bootcamp
Friday - 3 @ 10:00 (treadmill), pilates, hot tub, sauna
Saturday - 9 @ 10:13
Sunday - rest

I am pretty aware of my weight.  When I was training for Portland, I just kept packing on the pounds...  I started around 130 and peaked at 140.  When I was around 130, I was already at my heaviest ever so hitting 140 when I was running that much was pretty devastating.  I vowed that I would lose the weight but by being smart and doing it more through exercising than dieting.  My diet is already on the healthy side so I didn't want to deprive myself of calories too much - running takes fuel!

As I trained for Eugene, I started shedding some of those pounds and I've continued ever since.  These days, I'm often swinging between 129 and 132.  On Thanksgiving, I weighed in at 128!!!  I haven't been that low in my 30's...  or at least not that I can recall.  Both yesterday and today, I came in at 129 - that feels like a major victory after all the holiday eating I've done:).  It is such a happy and empowering feeling to have my weight back under control.  It has been hard work but I basically have lost 10-ish pounds over a year so I know that I did it in a smart and sustainable way.  

I really feel like I'll be my fastest if I can get just get down to 125 but stay strong.  It might take me another 6 months but that's totally fine.  A runner friend of mine once told me that he considers each pound to be worth 3 seconds a mile...  by that calculation, shaving off 10 pounds would shave off 30 seconds a mile...  which can really add up over the course of a long race!!  Obviously, this equation would have diminishing returns if you got carried away with it but it feels about right to me!  

No comments:

Post a Comment